Castles have played an important role in the history of Turkey, and many of the country’s castles have a rich and fascinating history. Here is a brief overview of the history of castles in Turkey:
- The first castles in Turkey were built by the Byzantines in the 5th and 6th centuries. These castles were typically built for defensive purposes and were located in strategic positions such as atop hills or near important trade routes.
- During the Middle Ages, Turkish tribes such as the Seljuks and the Ottomans built numerous castles throughout the region. These castles were used as military bases, administrative centers, and residences for the ruling elite.
- Many of Turkey’s castles were built using stone and brick, and they often had high walls, towers, and gates to provide protection. Some castles also had moats or other water-based defenses.
- Many of Turkey’s castles have undergone renovations and restorations over the years to preserve their historical and architectural significance. Today, many of these castles are open to the public as museums or tourist attractions.
There are several castles in Turkey that are known for their historical and architectural significance. Here are a few examples for Most Popular Castles in Turkey
- Alanya Castle – Located in the city of Alanya, this castle was built in the 13th century by the Seljuk Turks. It sits atop a steep cliff overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and offers panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Bodrum Castle – Also known as the Castle of St. Peter, this castle was built by the Knights Hospitaller in the 15th century. It is located in the city of Bodrum on the Aegean coast and is now home to the Museum of Underwater Archaeology.
- Kars Castle – Located in the city of Kars in northeastern Turkey, this castle was built in the 12th century by the Seljuk Turks. It has a unique architectural style that combines elements of both Byzantine and Islamic architecture.
- Kiz Kalesi – Located on the Black Sea coast, this castle is also known as the “Maiden’s Castle” due to a legend about a princess who was imprisoned there. It was built in the 13th century by the Empire of Trebizond and is now a popular tourist attraction.
- Mardin Castle – This castle is located in the city of Mardin in southeastern Turkey and was built in the 12th century by the Artuqid dynasty. It sits atop a hill and offers views of the surrounding city and the Mesopotamian plain.
- Marmaris Castle is located in the city of Marmaris on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey. It was built in the 16th century by the Ottoman Turks and is now a popular tourist attraction. The castle sits atop a hill overlooking the city and the surrounding area, and it has a museum that displays artifacts and exhibits related to the history of Marmaris and the surrounding region. Visitors to the castle can explore its various rooms, chambers, and halls, and enjoy panoramic views of the city from the top of its walls. The castle is open to the public and can be visited during regular business hours.
During your gulet cruise, you can visit the castles in the harbors of Southern Turkey. All you have to do for these gulet cruises is to fill out the form below and send us your request. The rest will be to ensure that you choose the right gulet with our gulet expertise. We wish you a very enjoyable holiday in advance.
Have a nice holiday!