Southern Turkey is a region located in the southwestern part of the country. It is bordered by the Aegean Sea to the west and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. The region is home to a number of important cities and tourist destinations, including Antalya, Izmir, and Marmaris.
The climate in Southern Turkey is Mediterranean, with hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. The region is known for its beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters, which make it a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports such as kitesurfing and windsurfing.
Southern Turkey is home to a number of national parks and natural reserves, including the Köprülü Canyon National Park and the Datça-Bozburun Peninsula National Park. These parks offer a range of outdoor activities, including hiking, climbing, and rafting.
The region is also known for its rich history and culture, with a number of important historical and cultural landmarks, including ancient ruins, castles, and museums. The cuisine of Southern Turkey is diverse, with influences from Turkish, Greek, and Middle Eastern cuisine.
Overall, Southern Turkey is a region with a rich history and a diverse culture, offering something for everyone, from adventure seekers to history buffs to beach lovers.
Some Ideas for Things To Do and See in Southern Turkey
- Visit the ancient city of Aspendos: Located near the city of Antalya, Aspendos is home to an impressive amphitheater that was built in the 2nd century AD and is still used for concerts and other events today.
- Explore the Köprülü Canyon National Park: This park, located in the Taurus Mountains, is known for its stunning landscape, which includes deep canyons, waterfalls, and ancient Roman bridges. It is a popular spot for hiking, rafting, and picnicking.
- Take a boat tour of the Dalyan Delta: The Dalyan Delta is a beautiful region located near the city of Dalyan that is home to a number of ancient ruins, including the ancient city of Kaunos. Boat tours of the delta are a great way to explore the area and learn about its history.
- Visit the ruins of the ancient city of Ephesus: Located near the city of Izmir, Ephesus was once a major city in the ancient world and is now home to a number of well-preserved ruins, including the Temple of Artemis, which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Go paragliding in Oludeniz: Oludeniz is a popular destination for paragliding, with its beautiful blue lagoon and stunning views of the surrounding mountains. It is a great way to experience the beauty of Southern Turkey from a different perspective.
Read related blog 12 things to add to your itinerary when you visit Turkey